Learn about how to get the most out of the interactive race day features available in RaceJoy with the content below. Most of these features were created by people like you - share your ideas and feedback!
How-To Be Tracked
- Find Race: Click Featured Races to access the event you are doing.
- Set Up Tracking: Click PhoneTrak and follow the prompts carefully.
- Carry Your Phone: Participants must carry their phone during the race.
- Turn Tracking On: Click the green blinking button. Tracking is activated 30 minutes before the race start time.
- Begin Your Personal Race Time: Click START MY RACE as you cross the START LINE.
- Replay Race Day in Buzz: Click Buzz to review your alerts and replay cheers!
Note: You must access RaceJoy on race day to activate GPS tracking. If you do not click Start My Race, RaceJoy will use gun time to calculate your progress.
Warning: DO NOT use Wi-Fi on race day. This will cause tracking to disengage.
How-To Track Someone
- Add participants to your participants list:
- Click on the icon on the upper corner of your screen and search for your participant.
- Track them in a map view:
- Apple Users: click the feet icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Android Users: click the Track button at the top menu bar.
- Track them with GPS-based progress alerts:
- You will automatically receive these once you've added people to your participant list.
- Click Buzz and then Progress Alerts to view alerts received.
- The number of alerts vary by race and are typically sent out at every mile.
- Make sure you have your Notifications ON and your volume up to receive alerts.
You can send pre-recorded audio cheer clips or custom text-to-cheer messages that are relayed in audio format to the participant. Cheers are delivered within moments of sending. You can send up to 50 cheers per participant per day.
To send a cheer:
- Click on the participant you wish to send the cheer to.
- Click the cheer you wish to send or click Text-to-Cheer and type in your message.
- Click send.
How-To Review Race Day
You can review your race day by going to the Buzz area of the app.
Progress Alerts: You can review any progress alerts sent while you were out on the course. Progress alerts are typically sent every mile for running events and every five miles for cycling or longer-distance events. Alerts include information like pace, elapsed time, and estimated finish time,
Cheers: You can review and replay any sent or received cheers. Cheers can be sent before, during or after the event. You can choose from pre-recorded audio cheers or sent personalized Text-to-Cheer messages.
Race Day News: Everything from important race news and emergency communications to RaceJoy alerts are delivered to this section.
How-To Track Relay Teams
- Team Set Up:
- All need to click "I Want to Be Tracked" upon initial set up. Follow the prompts.
- Select "Relay Course" option in course selection section.
- Sign up with team or add team to list, if not shown.
- Relay Team START: ALL push START MY RACE as the first team member crosses the start line.
Each team member clicks their own ”Start My Race” button in RaceJoy. In order to receive more accurate progress updates, ALL click this when the first member crosses the start line. Team members not present at the start line can click “Start My Race” when they get the alert that the first member has started the race.
Verify Proper Team Set Up:
- Click the More button on race page in RaceJoy.
- Click Profile: If you do not see your team name at the top of the screen, redo your setup by clicking your name and following the Team Set Up steps above.
How-To Set Up Apple Settings
- Notifications: Your device's notifications must be ON for RaceJoy (including Sounds) in order to receive audio progress alerts and cheers. Make sure the global Notifications setting is set to on.
- Location Services: The device you wish to have tracked must have Location Services ALWAYS ON for tracking to function (not "While Using"). Go to Privacy/Location Services to verify.
- Background App Refresh: General phone setting Background App Refresh must be ON for GPS tracking to stay enabled. Make sure the global Background App Refresh setting is set to On.
- Wi-Fi: You may receive a prompt from Apple saying Wi-Fi will improve your location services. Disregard this prompt, and make sure to use your cellular service provider when you turn your tracking on. Most people will connect to Wi-Fi to save on data and to overcome their provider’s limited service for a given area. This is fine when you are stationary or indoors, but it doesn’t work well with GPS tracking across race courses. Using Wi-Fi can cause your tracking to turn off as you move away from the Wi-Fi area. Plus, your battery will drain at a much faster rate as your phone attempts to make new connections as you move along the course.
Apple does not allow the App to override your settings. Please ensure these are enabled so that you can experience RaceJoy’s mobile features.
Battery Optimization tips
- Come with a fully charged battery.
- Wait to turn on your tracking in RaceJoy until right before you begin the race.
- Do not use Wi-Fi.
- Turn off other non-essential apps.
- Turn off other tracking apps.
For more information see our Battery Preservation Tips here.
No Guarantee: RaceJoy is bringing together multiple technologies to deliver advanced tracking and interactive experiences during the race. There are many variables that affect RaceJoy's ability to function properly and there is no guarantee RaceJoy will function for a given user.
Factors that may affect RaceJoy include older phone models, improper phone set up, weak cell signals in a given region, participant's use of Wi-Fi, unexpected course changes, etc. If you experience any issues, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.